Athenry Parish Heritage Archive is proud to offer open access to this website, which will highlight the extensive and unique natural, build and cultural heritage of Athenry town and parish We extend a Céad Míle Fáilte to members of the national and international communities to view and study the information, photographs and memories generously shared by community members here and abroad. We also invite you to participate in building our archive by sharing your information, stories and photos.
Please contact us at: athenrypha@gmail.com

The hunt dates from the beginning of the 19th century and has established itself as one of the famous Irish Hunts due to the goodwill and generosity of farmers and landowners throughout the county.

Athenry is one of the most notable medieval walled towns surviving in Ireland, owing its foundation to Meiler de Bermingham who built his castle there c.1250. The oldest part of the castle is the hall-keep. It is a large rectangular building originally containing only a hall at first-floor level and dark storerooms at ground level. For extra strength the lower part of the wall slopes out to form what is called a batter.
The only original entrance was at first-floor level and would have been reached by an external wooden stairs similar to the present reconstruction. This gave direct access to the hall, the official and ceremonial reception room of the castle, where the lord received guests and tenants and presided over the manor court. Heat was probably provided originally by a brazier in the centre of the hall, with the smoke exiting through a louver or opening in the roof directly above. The garderobe or toilet is located diagonally across from the main entrance to the hall.
The fine carving on the exterior of the doorway and on the inner side of two of the window openings bears witness to the importance of the hall. The capitals in both cases are carved with floral motifs in local style, known as the “School of the West”, transitional between Romanesque and Gothic. Dating from the late 12th and early 13th centuries, this style can be found at the abbeys of Cong, Ballintubber and Boyle.
The battlements are original 13th century work with tall arrow loops or slits in the solid sections or merlons. In the 15th century, these parapets were incorporated into steeply pitched gables at the north and south ends, for a new roof at this level. Parts of the original enclosure wall of the castle survive.

Experience life in a real thatched cottage, with all household items, so familiar in years gone by or stroll in our heritage park which houses a collection of farm implements from early this century and before, or ramble through the picnic are at your leisure. Also The Battle of Knockdoe Interpretative Centre, find out about the famous battle fought on the 19th August 1504. Lackagh Turloughmore

Esker has been a monastic site since the sixteenth century. It was first inhabited by the Dominicans, who escaped from the Abbey in Athenry during a time of persecution. They left here in the eighteen sixties, and it became for some time the diocesan seminary for Clonfert diocese. The Redemptorists came here in 1901. Because of this long history and tradition Esker is a special place; people constantly comment on the aura they sense here, the feeling of peace and tranquillity.

Unique village near Athenry with its broad green area running through the village.

Enjoy forest walks, visit the mausoleum and the Monivea Castle.

The woodland was once part of the Ffrench estate. The family left it to the Irish Nation on the death of Miss Cathleen Ffrench. One of the main features in the forest is the Ffrench family Mausoleum.

Bunaíodh Coláiste an Eachréidh i Lúnasa 2006. Is iarbhunscoil lán-Ghaeilge í atá faoi choimirce Coiste Ghairmoideachais Co.na Gaillimhe. Múintear gach ábhar trí mheán na Gaeilge agus is í an Ghaeilge teanga chumarsáide an Choláiste.

Coláiste an Eachréidh wasfounded in August 2006. It is an all-Irish post-primary school under the auspices of County Galway Vocational Education Committee. It is a co-educational, multi-denominational school in which Irish is the language of communication and all subjects are taught through the medium of Irish.

​​Presentation College , Athenry is a voluntary secondary school which is predominantly Catholic in character not in any sectarian sense but in the expression of our Christianity through our Catholic faith.

In 1908 Presentation Convent in Athenry was established by the Tuam mother-house. Sisters taught in the old girls’ primary school at Abbey Row until, some years later, a new Primary School was built on the parish lands at the rear of the convent.  By the late 1920’s the Sisters began to provide secondary education for girls in the primary school through development of a secondary top.  In 1930, four girls took the Intermediate Certificate examination, fore-runner of the present Junior Certificate and in 1948 the school was registered with the Department of Education as a Secondary School and the curriculum was extended. There were 74 girls on the rolls in 1949/50.  A new building, the Technology Block, with 5 classrooms was opened in 1951. The main school building until 1980, this building is still in use today.  in 1952 there were 96 girls enrolled. Some travelled by train from Ballyglunin station, which featured in the film The Quiet Man. Closed for many years, the line was re-opened by 2013 so once again pupils may travel by train to the Pres from Ballyglunin and further afield.

Scoil Chroí Naofa is a catholic, all girls primary school with boys up as far as 1st class, serving the families of Athenry, Co Galway. We currently have an enrolment of 352 pupils across 14 mainstream classes from junior infants to 6th class.

Bunaíodh Gaelscoil Riada ar an gcéad lá de Mheán Fómhair 2006 le 34 páiste agus beirt oide, Sinéad Nic Giolla Chionnaigh agus Maeve Ní Fhlaithearta.

D’oscail an scoil ar shuíomh sealadach ar thalamh poiblí ó Chomhairle Bhaile Átha an Rí le haitheantas sealadach ón Roinn Oideachas agus Scileanna.