Athenry Golf Club Christmas 1999

Home » Library » The Athenry Journal » Record

Athenry Golf Club was founded in circa 1902 (this date being researched) and was first affiliated to the Golfing Union in 1924 / 127.  At that time, golf was played over a hilly nine-hole course situated in Raheen.  The Club’s lease expired in 1952.

The next move was down to Moanbawn in 1958 and there the kernel of the dream formed – that of a permanent home.  The dream lay dormant until 1977, when again an expired lease- saw Athenry’s small band of enthusiastic golfers play out the season as guests of Mountbellew Golf Club and thus gained the name of “The Nomads”.  So the dream reawakened and came alive in 1978 when at last, Athenry Golfers arrived to view the rough terrain at Conneelly’s Mountain in Palmerstown and from there ‘the acorn has developed’ in leaps and bounds.

Six holes were constructed pretty quickly.  In 1981 and 1982, the course was extended to nine holes and membership increased to such an extent that there was considerable congestion on the nine holes.  In 1988, the Club was prepared for a move to 18 holes but land had to be sought and was eventually purchased.  The eighteen-hole facility opened early in 1991, followed in 1992, by the extended Clubhouse and full facilities.

Membership has increased to such an extent that waiting lists have to be used; 500 male members and approximately 200 ladies, with students and juniors, making up the full complement.  Our junior boys have had great success in 1999 and we hope more girls will join.  The ladies and men’s sections had limited success in 1999 but have the potential to achieve great things in 2000.

Full membership for ladies became available in the 1990s.

Any material relating to Club History would be much appreciated as an effort is being made to get as accurate a picture as possible of the Club’s earlier years.

– –

About this record

Written by To be confirmed!

Published here 22 Apr 2023 and originally published Christmas 1999

– –