Monivea Rugby Football Club Schools Vice-President Sean Cleary receives the Community Initiative Award on behalf of the rugby club from Minister for Tourism and Trade – Enda Kenny.
The award judged on the criteria of the initiative of the scheme and the management of the scheme by the sponsor (Monivea Rugby Football Club) brings great credit to the efforts of the organisers in the club and the workers in the scheme.
The project involved intensive pitch maintenance and improvement and particularly the training of young players in schools throughout the county during school days. The club extends the benefits of the coaching on Saturday mornings to all age groups, up to U18, by trained and experienced coaches and trainers. The Saturday morning sessions are being attended by up to 180 youngsters.
Our rugby business will now be running under the following headings:
l. National Schools coaching (3rd year), up to 607 children per week.
2. Presentation College School, Athenry (lst year): coaching under 13s, 14s, 17s.
3. Eleven people to commence employment on a FAS project by 6th November.
4. Saturday Mini Rugby – ages 8 to 14 yrs. Total 100 approx.
5. Wednesday Nights Under 13s
6. Friday Nights Under 20s
7. Tuesday and Thursday Nights, 1st and 2nd XV
8. Senior Team selected every Tuesday after training
9 Lotto Draw every Sunday night.
10. Bingo commencing Tuesday 7th November.
ll. Clubs monthly meeting – first Monday in each month
12. Connacht Branch Meeting – second Monday in each month
13. Lights to switch on – Saturday 25th November 1995.
The above will give you a summary of what is happening.
Written by Pádraic McGann
Published here 09 Feb 2021 and originally published November 1995
The Pony Club
ContributeMany thanks to all our writers, researchers and contributors who have made this collation of writing a meaningful historical record. If you would like to add an article, news, thoughts, opinions, photos or anything else to the Athenry.org Library please contact our Editor, Finbarr O’Regan at: firstname.lastname@example.org