Loro Gate – Swangate – Geata Láragh – Central Gate
In the Book of Survey and Distribution map, circa 1583, of Athenry this gate is called Laragh Gate. This is an anglicised version of the Irish name “Geata Láragh” meaning the “Central Gate” or Main Gate!
“Loro” is an anglicised abbreviation of the vernacular pronunciation of the Irish name “Láragh”
Folklore tells us that this gate was named Swangate because at one time Sergeant Swan was the Keeper of the Gate and had a shebeen nearby! Nothing to do with the bird “swan” (“Eala” in Irish)
The land outside this gate is called “Laragh Gate Quarter” and in the map it was in the possession of a number of citizens of the town – “All Irish Papists”
Laragh Gate Quarter – compliments of the National Archives of Ireland
Council workers carrying out roadworks in Athenry, Co Galway, have made an important medieval discovery. The workers, who were preparing the ground for a new roundabout on the main Galway road, uncovered a portion of the town’s main entrance gate – Fiona Gartland, Irish Times.
Work in progress at Láragh Gate, Athenry – 01 Feb 2014
Geata Láragh – Loro Gate
Written by Finbarr O'Regan
Published here 05 Feb 2021
St Vincent dePaul Society June 1995
ContributeMany thanks to all our writers, researchers and contributors who have made this collation of writing a meaningful historical record. If you would like to add an article, news, thoughts, opinions, photos or anything else to the Athenry.org Library please contact our Editor, Finbarr O’Regan at: firstname.lastname@example.org